Friday, March 2, 2007

VietNam

No this post is not about the war, or the current political climate of the country, it's about a band, named VietNam. These guys seem to be popping up everywhere right now, and they are a getting a good amount of positive buzz. So I thought I should give 'em a listen, critics are saying things like, there is no one on the scene that sounds like them right now. I can't really say all that, it's fairly good stuff. They have a bit of a southern rock sound to them, a little rootsy, with Dylanesque stream of consciousness lyrics. Very indie rock, and bet Magnet will think they are the cat's. I would put them in the same camp with a bunch of other bands of this type, Jayhawks, Guided By Voices, Thee Geraldine Fibbers, all these bands are technically great, very good musicianship, very solid song writing. But, none of the bands that I have listed really does anything amazing, or fresh, or unexpected. I feel the same way about Modest Mouse, and Weezer, sure they are good music makers, and they rarely disappoint their loyal fan base, but they just don't do anything that blows your head off.

3 comments:

Housefairy said...

ummm Weezer blows something.
but im not sure if we are gettin' dirty on the blog or whatnot.

please advise.

when it comes to music reviews, my colorful language can occasionally reach an apex.

killyridols said...

No, by all means say what you want how you want. I'm not saying that I like Weezer, I actually loath them. I was just pointing out that they are a band that is just at that level of good but not great. I happen to find that the more mediocre a band is the more I hate them, playing it safe is not the way to make great art.

Housefairy said...

Weezer is the most loathesome epitome of soul-less cold empty knobs to come around in a long long time. I hate them so much. They were the first sickeningly technically-the-same-as-the-other-bands-i-liked-but-somehow-sick-and -oh-so-wrong group to pierce my early 20s indie vibe. My friends who liked them immediately lost clout and the sight or sound of them to this day makes me so so angry.
I agree so much about mediocrity. Gimme some truly bad any day. Its usually either secretly toe tappable or funny or secretly brilliant or at least a musical ironic moustache, good for a smile.