Thursday, March 1, 2007

Spring training

Well the Tigers kicked off Spring Training games today against the Phillies. They won 9-7. Mike Maroth had a strong start, throwing 2 shutout innings. He said that he doesn't even remember the surgery and wants to be the ace of the staff. That's quite a tall order in this staff but i like his drive. Sheffield had a 3rd inning 3 run homer though, so that's a nice start, seeing as he said yesterday was the first day he had picked up a bat since October. It looks like, based on the box score, Leyland got all the starters at least a few at bats. So we have our first look at the possible lineup for your 2007 Detroit Tigers, and it looks like this.

1. I. Rodriguez
2. P. Polanco
3. G. Sheffield
4. C. Guillen
5. M. Ordonez
6. S. Casey
7. C. Monroe
8. C. Granderson
9. O. Infante

Now mind you it looks like Inge didn't bat, so that number 9 spot would be where he would be. Leyland has said he is going to try many different lineups, but just looking at this one it's very easy to tell that pitching staffs are going to have their work cut out for them when they play the Tigers this year. I don't see a hole there. I like how Leyland seems to have moved his swing away hitters to the bottom of the lineup a bit. I think that makes since, keep your solid on base guys at the top, and give the swing away guys a chance to make something happen in the 3rd or 4th inning. I can't wait for baseball this year! Here's to a 100 win season! Go Tigers!!!!

3 comments:

Housefairy said...

I like the new lineup. Looking forward to the season and to actually going to a frickin game this time.
8 bucks bleachers, baby! (Do they still have that, or am I, as usual, living in a 90s fantasy?)

Barbnocity said...

I am looking forward to the new season, too! We have a Tiger game outing every year at work, and I took Simon to his first ever Tiger game last year, and can't wait to do the same this year!! I just hope it isn't as bloody hot as it was last time!!!

They still have cheap seats--I thought they still had family ticket deals with food included??? I think??? I'll have to look it up somewhere.

Barbnocity

Housefairy said...

Sounds awesome. Lets go in spring or evening.