Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Game s on my radar

Here is the list of games that I think my gaming group, The Foot Foot Gamers, needs before our big annual 4 day long retreat in August. In no particular order.

Basari This is a game I've wanted for awhile now, it looks like it's full of interaction, and take that, with a little bit of tactics thrown in.

Hermagor This is the heavy euro of the moment, it looks like the newest Caylus killer, should be good.

Leonardo Da Vinci Nothing to do with the code, just a heavy weight euro about, you guessed it renaissance Italy. Which to me is a theme that has been overlooked far too long in euro games.

Traders of Genoa This is another game that has been on my wish list for a long time, pure negotiation, looks fun.

Republic of Rome This is an old Avalon Hill negotiation game that is long out of print, and fetches lots and lots of money on ebay. You never know though, maybe I'll stumble across one in a thrift store one day.

Santy Anno This looks like a blast for the retreat, you are a pirate on shore leave, and you've indulged in far too much rum and can't remember which boat you are part of the crew of. So using a card with a few key notes on it about your boat you need to find it at the table and sit at the chair that has your boat. But, don't be the last one to sit down or you're out. It seems like the fun starts when 2 or 3 people try to sit at the same chair, thinking they all have the right boat.

Lost Valley Highly regarded exploration game, looks like fun.

Descent This is a very over produced dungeon crawl game that many people speak highly of. I just feel like there are a number of people in our game group that would love the hell out of this game. It could end up being quite a hit at the retreat, and beyond. If only it had campaign rules.

Cave Troll Tom Jolly's area influence game, set around a dungeon crawl theme. This game has just been reprinted by Fantasy Flight games with all new plastic bits and a full sized board.

Fairy Tale Japanese card game, with a drafting mechanic similar to Magic the Gathering.

Hey! Thats my Fish! A nice little multiplayer abstract with a simple move mechanic and a modular board, looks like short and deep gameplay, with short and simple rules. Scales up and down the player range well, and could be a nice filler when there are a few people left out of a big game for whatever reason.

Well that is my current wish list, give these games a lookin' over and let me know if you feel they would be good additions to our groups ever expanding game library.

9 comments:

Housefairy said...

I might play Fairy Tale.

(It sounds Materno!)

Housefairy said...

We have "pitch six"?

I would play that.

Relevant, huh?! I just want you to have comments!

Hawksbill said...

Descent does look interesting.

There's two genres of game that I'm desperate to play great/replayable versions of, but are hard to find. One is the dungeon crawl. The other is the fabled "civ-lite". Two basic ideas that I think every gamer loves but which, for some reason, the actual games usually aren't that great.

killyridols said...

I would love a good dungeon crawl game. I think I;m going to look a lot harder at Descent. The biggest problem with that game is that it retails for about $70. There is a Civ "light" game that I've had my eye for awhile called Antike, that I have heard is rather good. Who knows it might actually be good.

Hawksbill said...

I'm a little gun shy of the promise of a good "civ-lite" game. I can't get the memories of "Mare Nostrum" out of my head. The Horrors... The Horrors...

But, re: Descent... $70??? That seems outrageous! For $70 a game better not only be great, I'd also expect a reach-around! :)

killyridols said...

It's loaded, I mean LOADED with a tone of plastic minis. That will always drive up the price of a game. The box is about 4 feet by 2 feet.

Hawksbill said...

Descent does look like a pretty good game, although it does seem to have some negative aspects, based on BGG reviews.

It also might be a bit problematic at the retreat, given our point system. Descent has one player as "overlord" and everyone else as heroes competing against the overlord.

I'm not sure how our retreat point system would handle a 1 player vs. 4 players kind of scenario.

It does seem kind of promising though... if you think you may not get it, perhaps I'll ask Barb for it for father's day. :)

killyridols said...

A lot of the negative comments are based on the fact that you pretty much do the same thing each turn. Find target shoot or hack at target rinse repeat. It may get dull really quick. Unless of course it's set in a very richly thematic world, or if they would develop campaign rules.

Hawksbill said...

Some of the reviews do say that the expansion sets solve a lot of the problems in Descent... but those are another $30 each, I think.

I wonder how tough it would be to make campaign rules for it on our own.