Thursday, May 3, 2007

It was forty years ago next month

June 1st will mark the 40 year anniversary of the UK release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. And my friend and fellow Beatles geek Wedgehead just laid a copy of the mono LP converted to CD on me. I have to say that unless you have heard the mono Sgt. Pepper's in my opinion you haven't heard it all. Yes there is that much of a difference. You see when Capitol released Sgt. Pepper's in the US they took the Beatles mono tapes, that they helped mix, and, without help from any band members, or George Martin, made their own fake "stereo" version. This, when listening to the mono reveals, seriously changed not just the tempo of almost all the songs but also the pitch. When listening to the mono, the album has a more serious sound to it, songs like, Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds have an almost sinister sound to them.

So, in honor of the 4 decade anniversary of one of the most paradigm shifting moments in pop culture, I'm going to have a mono listening party. The party will be Friday June 1st. Cool how that worked out to be on a Friday huh? Almost like they knew that 40 years later we could all have a listen I mean a real listen, and not have to worry about getting up for work the next day.

2 comments:

Housefairy said...

That rules. I can't wait. I loved listening to the mono version and the whole backstory makes me very uneasy and bummed, how the version that most folks know is such a cut and paste jobbie. Shame.

The party will rule, tho-can we celebrate your June 4 bday that night as well? Or are 2 parties in order ;)

killyridols said...

If people would like to call it my bday party as well that is fine by me. I don't really need a second party. I just really can't wait to enjoy that album with a group of people that can't wait to enjoy that album. :)